Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Rice noodles with mushroom, fish cake and tofu

When I asked my friend where it originally comes from - this rice noodles with mushrooms, fish cake and tofu ? He said "It created by the chef-owner". Ok. But I still tried to figure out how the owner came up with the idea - to add mushrooms, tofu to this fish cake rice noodles.

 Squeezing some lemon juice, adding a spoon of lemongrass pate to the noodles, it made tastier 

My guess, I'm maybe wrong, the owner probably from somewhere in Central of Vietnam, so living in Saigon, she realised that people here love mushrooms and tofu, that's why she just added to her fish cake noodles. But until I tried the first spoon...Oh no, maybe not the taste from Central! I need to ask her next time when I come back.

                Shrimp, tofu, quail egg...and a plate of sprout bean and watercress to be served.

It's a small simple eating place right on Nguyễn Hữu Thọ street, opposite The Sunrise City (North tower). When we arrived, around 7:00 PM, very few customers but later, more people coming, so it's obviously a popular place. I quite like the taste of the soup. It's light.

Ok, what we have in the bowl: shrimp, good chewy fish cake made of bronze featherback (cá thát lát), small pieces of quite tender pork gristle, two kinds of mushrooms (golden needle and shiitake), quail egg and soft tofu. I have to say, the soft tofu seemed not in the right place in this noodles, not really "associated" with other ingredients.


Yesterday we got a friend who works in Long Hai in Alma Oasis resort, my friend and me had to take care of him before his flight back to his hometown in Bali the next day. To be honest, I hate the weather these days in Saigon during the transfer from the hot to the rain season. It's like half hot, half wet, haft humid. I felt a bit exhausted and very hungry after hours of window shopping in the mall in district 7.  But, despite the tiredness, I felt like revived when seeing the bowl of this rice noodles, served with a plate of dip-into-boiling water watercress and sprout bean.  

                        Rice noodles with fish cake, mushrooms and tofu!  


We still ordered a side dish - a bowl of bitten melon with fish cake, as my friend - a big green-pepper lover. The green pepper added not only to the soup but also to the chewy fish cake. It's a bit spicy but very good flavour. Only 30,000 VND per bowl and 15,000 VND for the bitten melon soup. It was very good price and very good food! Quite satisfied!


2 comments:

  1. The beauty is in a simplicity. Love your recipes for that! These delicious pancakes went to my dinner table! Thanks) Also, owning the best rice cooker I remained a lot of excess rice for the pancake day. So, I tried an omlet with it! Just whisk eggs as usual and add cooked rice that I've had, plus slices of tomatoes and fresh sweet pepper. It looked like a pancake)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY! NOT too difficult to make this. I think this recipe is wondeful dish for my family'breakfast. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...